WHERE BUSINESS MEETS BEHAVIOR.
Susan Strayer LaMotte, SPHR is the founder and CEO of exaqueo.
- My home base: Charleston, SC, USA
- I cut my teeth: Working in HR for Arthur Andersen in the late 90s.
- I earned my stripes: In several corporate HR, talent and employer brand leadership roles with CEB, Marriott International and The Ritz-Carlton.
- I'm known as: someone who gets results and is recognized for the results of her work. I was named one of the Top 20 Future of Work Thought Leaders and cited as a Top 100 Social HR Expert, Top 100 Branding Expert, Top 100 influencer in HR and a Top 100 HR/Recruiting Industry pro. I coined the phrase "where business meets behavior" and developed the first holistic research to EVP to employer brand architecture process in the market using consumer brand expertise.
- I'm proud that: one of our recent clients said "we couldn't have imagined a better response to our employer brand" after we launched their very first brand campaign; I'm also proud to be one of the early in-house pioneers in employer brand using social media and developing a research-based employer brand strategy while at Marriott International.
- One of the biggest impacts I have made recently for a client was: I'm building an employer brand for a global technology firm and the client stopped and said "I'm so lucky to have met you." That alone tells me that what we're doing is making an impact.
- My team and clients love that I: Focus on using data to help drive decisions and always look for how to make things better rather than dwell on what's wrong or who's to blame.
- I clocked time in a classroom getting: an MBA from Vanderbilt University where I was a Dean's Scholar, an MA in Human Resource Development from The George Washington University, a BA in PR and Communications from Virginia Tech and a Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) certification.
- My energy outside of work is spent on: Family (@PeterLaMotte and #LilLaMotte), yoga, cooking, football and being outdoors.
- I reward myself by: Finding the best coffee, chocolate, bourbon or wine. Then enjoying it slowly as if to stop time...
- On my perfect day off I would: Be outside on a boat with family, friends, sunshine and a great breeze.
- I can't live without: Music: from indie to mellow to country to rock. I can't work without Spotify or go too long without seeing a live concert. Right now, I've got Joshua Radin's new album The Fall on heavy rotation.
- My latest obsession: Preparing for #lillamotte's younger brother (arriving later this year)
- My first job: I got fired as a snack bar attendant at 13 because I forgot to go to work. I got my first real W-2 as a camp counselor at 14 and have been a lifeguard, head cashier, customer service manager, waitress, after-school aide, admissions marketer, orientation leader, cold caller, swim instructor, babysitter, PR intern and peer counselor. I had 16 different jobs all before I graduated college.
- Get the real resume and bio: over on LinkedIn.
- Say hi: Here at exaqueo, or @SusanLaMotte.