WHERE BUSINESS MEETS BEHAVIOR.
Susan Strayer LaMotte, SPHR is the founder and CEO of exaqueo.
- My home base: Charleston, SC, USA
- I cut my teeth: Working in HR for Arthur Andersen in the late 90s.
- I earned my stripes: In several corporate HR, talent and employer brand leadership roles with CEB, Marriott International and The Ritz-Carlton.
- I'm known as: someone who gets results and is recognized for the results of her work. I was named one of the Top 20 Future of Work Thought Leaders in 2015 and cited as a Top 100 Social HR Expert, Top 100 Branding Expert, Top 100 influencer in HR and a Top 100 HR/Recruiting Industry pro. I coined the phrase "where business meets behavior" and I see the value in both the bottom line and the person.
- I'm proud that: the social media strategy for HR I designed at Marriott International was named #1 in social media for HR by Fortune Magazine, and the Employer Brand I led and developed for Marriott was awarded Best Employer Brand.
- One of the biggest impacts I have made recently for a client was: I'm building an employer brand for a global technology firm and the client stopped and said "I'm so lucky to have met you." That alone tells me that what we're doing is making an impact.
- My team and clients love that I: Focus on using data to help drive decisions and always look for how to make things better rather than dwell on what's wrong or who's to blame.
- I clocked time in a classroom getting: an MBA from Vanderbilt University, an MA in Human Resource Development from The George Washington University, a BA in PR and Communications from Virginia Tech and the dreaded (but necessary) Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) certification.
- My energy outside of work is spent on: Family, yoga, cooking, football and being outdoors.
- I reward myself by: Finding the best coffee, bourbon or wine. Then enjoying it slowly as if to stop time...
- On my perfect day off I would: Be outside on a boat with family, friends, sunshine and a great breeze.
- I can't live without: Music. I can't work without Spotify or go too long without seeing a live concert. Right now, I've got Jason Isbell's new album Something More That Free on heavy rotation.
- My latest obsession: the beach. We recently moved our family to Charleston, SC and I love that we can go to the beach any time we want!
- My first job: I got fired as a snack bar attendant at 13 because I forgot to go to work. I got my first real W-2 as a camp counselor at 14 and have been a lifeguard, head cashier, customer service manager, waitress, after-school aide, admissions marketer, orientation leader, cold caller, swim instructor, babysitter, PR intern and peer counselor. I had 16 different jobs before I graduated college.
- Get the real resume and bio: over on LinkedIn.
- Say hi: Here at exaqueo, or @SusanLaMotte.